Skin is the largest organ of an integumentary system, functions as a protective barrier preventing tissues from exposure, toxins, ultraviolet radiation, extreme temperature, trauma, etc. In Ayurveda, the skin is referred to as Twacha, Charma or Twak. Skin being the outermost covering of our body, it is prone to various diseases. These diseases then lower your self-confidence. You can consult with kerala ayurvedic center llc in Dubai for effective skin treatment in ayurveda. It is significant to consult a physician to provide proper care and Skin Treatment in Ayurveda.
Skin Layers in Ayurveda:
Correlating the skin layers by Sushruta and conventional anatomy, it is listed below:
1.Avabhasini – Stratum corneum (Epidermis) – Forms a protective barrier to prevent infection, chemicals, dehydration, and mechanical stress.
2.Shweta – Stratum lucidum (Epidermis) – Provides elasticity for the skin, making it waterproof.
3.Tamra – Stratum granulosum (Epidermis) – Forms a protective layer and a hydrophobic barrier making the cells secrete lamellar bodies containing lipids and proteins.
4.Vedini – Papillary layer (Dermis) – Contains connective tissue, blood capillaries, and Meissner’s corpuscles, providing support, nourishment, and deep sensation
5.Rohini – Reticular layer (Dermis) – This layer contains roots of hair follicles, sebaceous glands, sweat glands, apocrine glands, lymph, and blood vessels. Also, includes collagenous, elastic, reticular and protein fibers providing its strength, elasticity, support, and nourishment.
6.Mansadhara – Hypodermis – Acts as an energy reserve.
Skin treatment in Ayurveda:
Ayurvedic herbs purify skin and remove vitiated Tridoshas from our body, responsible for skin disorders and other diseases. Numerous herbs help in attaining healthy skin with a glowing complexion. For this treatment you can approach a skin specialist in Dubai, making your skin disease-free.
Psoriasis is the major skin disease observed. Skin Treatment in Ayurveda involves detoxification of the body by eliminating from the body fluids.
- Snehana – consuming medicated ghee for 5 – 7 days
- Detoxification by vomiting (Vamana) and purgation (Virechana) treated with medicated buttermilk dripping overhead Thakradhara and applying medicated paste all over the body.
- Basthies (medicated enema) given for 8 days and consume medicated ghee for 90 days.
- Arumsika (Eczema of scalp/face)- Blood is removed and the lesion are washed with a decoction of Nimba (Azadirachta indica). Also, a paste of Patola patra (Trichosanthes dioica leaves), Hartal(Orpiment), Haldi (Curcuma longa) / Erand (Ricinus communis), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Nilotpala (Nymphaea nouchali), and Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba) is applied.
- Nilika (Naevus), Vyanga (black spot), – Vein is punctured in the forehead and rubbed with Smudra Phena (Cuttle fishbone). The paste of the bark of kshira-vriksha (plant containing sap) / Atibala (Abutilon Indicum) Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Haldi (Curcuma longa), Bala (Sida cordifolia) / Arkpuspi (Holostemma rheedie), Aguru (Aquilaria agallocha), Kaliyaka (Colchicinum fenestratum) and Gairika(Haematite) is applied.
- Yauvana Pidika (acne/pimples)- Paste of Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Sendha (Rock-salt), Vacha(Acorus calamus), and Sarso (Brassica campestris) / Dhanyaka(Coriandrum sativum), Vacha, Lodhra and Kuth (Saussurea lappa) is applied.
- Padadari (Rhagades)- Vein is punctured after fomentation and anointing. The paste of Yava kshar (potassium salts), Madhuchista (Bees wax), Vasa (fat), powder of Sarjika kshar (sodium salts), and Gairika (Haematite) is mixed with ghee and applied to the feet.
3 types of Mukhlepa (formulation) – removal of dosha, for removal of poison, and varnyakara(complexion promoting) are applied to the face according to season.
1.Hemant (Dewy season)- the paste of seed of Ber (Ziziphus jujuba), Vasaka root (Adhatoda vasica), Savara Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa or paniculata) Sarson (Brassica campestris) is applied.
2.Shisir (Winter)- black til (Sesamum indicum), Kateri root (Solanum surattense), the bark of Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata), Barly (Hordeum vulgare) without husk.
3.Basant (Spring)- the paste of the root of Dabh (Imperata cylindrica), Khas (Vetiveria zizanioidis), Shiris (Albizzia lebbeck), Chandan (Santalum album), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), chawal (Oriza sativa).
4.Grisma (Summer) – Durva (Cynodon dactylon), Kumud(Nymphaea nouchali),Utpal (Nymphoea stellata), Khas (Vetiveria zizanioidis), Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Chandan (Santlum album).
5.Varsa (Rainy season) – Til (Aesamum indicum), khas (Vetiveria zizanioidis), Kaliyaka (Coscinium fenestratum), Jatamansi (Nordostachys Jatamansi), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii), Padmk (Nelumbo nucifera).
6.Sarat (Autumn)- Muledi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Khas (Vetiveria zizanioidis), Talis (Abies webbiana), Etkat (Sesbania cannabina), Pundarik (Nelumbo nucifera), Tagar (Vetiveria wallichii), and Agru (Aquilari agallocha).
1.Mukhadusika chikitsa (Acne)- warm paste of Lodhra and Tuvarika (Hydnocarpus laurifolia) / leaves of Vata (Ficus bengalensis) and narikela shukti (coconut shell) / Saindhava, Vacha, Aksibhesaja (Sabar lodhra -Symplocos racemosa or paniculata) and Sidharthaka(Brassica compestris) is applied.
2.Lancchana (Patches on the face), vyanga (hyperpigmentation), and nilika(Naevus) chikitsa- nearest vein is cut and covered with the paste of the bark of trees having milky sap / Madhuka (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Atibala(Abutilon Indicum), Bala (Sida cordifolia) and Haridra / Payasya ( Ipomoea digitata) Madhuka, Aguru, and kaliyaka (Coscinium fenestratum). Tender fruit of Kapittha (Feronia limonia), Rajani (Curcuma longa), Tinduka (Diospyros peregrine), the root of Amalika (Tamarindus indica) and Sukaradamstra (teeth of a pig) are also mixed with honey and ghee.
In kshudra rog (minor diseases), nidan chikitsa prakaran (diagnosis and prognosis)
- Arumsika- the paste of Amlaki (Emblica officinalis), Nilkamal (Nymphaea stellata), Yasthimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra). Triphaladi taila and Haridradi taila is prescribed. Triphaladi taila-Oil prepared by Triphala, Yasthimadhu, Bhringraj, Nilkamal, Sariva, and Saindhav lavana is prescribed. Haridradi taila-Oil prepared by Haldi, Daruhaldi, Chiraita, Triphala bark of Nimbi, and Rakta chandan.
- Vyanga ( facial dark patches )- Bhangapatra (Cannabis sativa), Vidhara (Argyreia speciosa), Tribhuvan, and Sesam root (Dalbergia sissoo) / Masur (Lense culinaris) shows positive results in dark patches / Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), the bark of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), and Adusa (Adhatoda vasica) with butter shows a positive result.
- Complexion promoting- Masur (Lense culinaris) triturated with milk and ghee for enhancing the complexion. Kumkumadi tailam is also prescribed.
- Yauvana Pidika (acne/pimples)- the paste of Jaiphala (Myristica fragrans), Raktacahandan (Ptrerocarpus santalinus), Maricha (Piper nigrum) / Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Dhanyaka (Coriandrum sativum), Vacha (Acorus calamus) / Safed sarso, Vacha, Lodhra and saindhava / Semal (Salmalia malabarica) spine with milk.
- Vipadika- the paste of wax, saindhav, ghee, Guda(Jaggery) Guggulu (Commiphora weiti), gum of shal (Shorea robusta), and Geru (Haematite) / Madanadilepa prepared by Madanphala (Randia spinosa), Wax and Smudra lavana (Sea salt) shows a positive result.
3 kinds of lepa – dosaghna (pacify the polluted humor), visaghna (relieve the poisonous substance), and varnya (cosmetic application for the complexion)
1.Complexion promoting-Rakta chandana (Ptrerocarpus santalinus) Manjistha(Rubia cordifolia), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), kustha (Saussurea lappa), Priyangu (Callicarpa macrophylla), and Masura (Lense culinaris).
2.YauvanaPidika (acne/pimples) – the paste of ripened leaves of Vata (F. bengalensis), Malati, Rakta chandan (Ptrerocarpus santalinus), Kustha( Saussurea lappa), kaliyaka (Coscinium fenestratum), and Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa) is applied.
3.Arumsika- A paste of the bark of Khadira (Acacia catechu), Aristha (Sapindus trifoliatus), Jambu (Syzygium cumini), Kutaj (Holarrhena antidysentrica), and Saindhav (rock salt) present in cow’s urine cures arumsika.