Migraine Treatment in Ayurveda
Migraine is a neurological condition characterized by recurrent headaches which are felt as throbbing pain, numbness, or a pulsating sensation usually in just one side of the head. Associated symptoms are nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity towards light, sound, smell, etc. Migraine usually runs in families and women are more affected than men.
Causes of migraine :
The exact causes of migraines are not known.It can result from abnormal brain activity causing
temporary changes in chemicals,nerves and blood vessels in the brain.
Triggering factors of migraine :
- Loud noise, strong smell, bright light, dehydration, severe heat, or extremes in weather.
- Stress, poor sleep, strenuous activities.
- Hormonal changes such as estrogen and progesterone fluctuations during
menstruation, pregnancy, or menopause.
- Skipping or irregular meals, caffeine products such as tea or coffee, certain foods such as chocolates, cheese, etc.
- Smoking, alcohol, etc.
Symptoms of migraine :
Before the onset of migraine patients may feel prodromal symptoms such as mood changes, neck stiffness, constipation, etc.
AURA-Patients may experience warning symptoms before or with a headache.Black spots or zigzag lines in the visual field, light flashes, blurred vision, numbness or tingling sensation in one side of the face or body, hearing an unusual noise, speech difficulty, etc.
Even after the attack of migraine patient may feel postdrome symptoms such as
confusion, moodiness, weakness, dizziness, sensitivity to light and sound, etc that persists for about 24 hours.
Types of migraine :
- Migraine with aura.
- Migraine without aura (commonest type)
- Migraine aura without headache (silent migraine)
Diagnosis –is based on the clinical history and physical examination. Imaging techniques such as CT scan, MRI scan, etc can rule out other causes of headaches.
Ayurveda Management of Migraine :
Treatment depends on age and health condition of patients, dietary activities, frequency of migraine attacks, associated symptoms, etc.
Ayurveda offers various panchakarma treatments. Nasya,virechana,vasthi, Shirodhara, steam, etc are effective therapies. Various herbs and internal medications can be administered according to the advice of an ayurvedic physician.
Avoiding triggers and certain lifestyle modifications help to reduce the frequency of
- Regular physical exercises.
- A healthy diet including easily digestible foods, fruits and vegetables, regular meals, and plenty of water.
- Good sleep and reduce stress.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, strong coffee/tea, spicy and oily foods.
- Protection from direct sun.
- Yoga and meditation.
For more details about our treatments logon to http://keralaayurvedicdubai.com
The blog is written by Dr. Fathima Mohammed (Medical Director) Senior Ayurvedic Consultant at Kerala Ayurvedic Centre Dubai.